Payment & Finances
|Important Notice: In order to secure your place in any IFR field school, a nonrefundable deposit fee is required. Deposit payment may only be made after your application was approved by the field school director(s).|
Each field school has a payment deadline noted on the top of the program page (look at the green box on the top right). Students are encouraged to complete tuition payment by that deadline. If payments are incomplete by the designated deadline, students will incur a $100 Late Fee. Students may avoid the Late Fee is they sign the Financial Aid agreement and send to the IFR before the program payment deadline.
Note that the Financial Aid agreement is a legal document committing the student to full payment for the program regardless of student attendance. If you are not certain you will attend the program, signing this document may not be a good idea.
YOUR TUITION COVERS:
- Costs of instruction
- Costs of your room & board. In most field schools, your meals during the weekend are not covered but the cost of accommodations are. Look at the field school syllabus for details
- Costs of your credit units and unofficial transcripts. UCLA charges $15 for official transcripts
- All local transportation
- For all international programs, the full costs of your Health, Political & Natural Disaster Evacuation and Accident Insurance
- A single IFR T-Shirt
YOUR TUITION DOES NOT COVER:
- Costs of travel to- and from field school meeting point as described in the program syllabus
- Travel insurance for airline tickets
- Costs of entry visa (if any) to the country in which the field school will take place
- Costs of immunizations or prescribed medication
- Personal expenses for items such as gifts to family & friends, phone calls, etc.
- For all programs in the US the IFR cannot purchase short term health insurance on your behalf. Proof of health insurance is required.
Payments may be made by check, cashier check or through our online payment system. All payments must be made in US Dollars. Pay stubs for check payments are required and students will be able to download pay stubs from their folder once admitted to the program.
- Check Payment: If you choose to pay by check or cashier check, please make it payable to the “Institute for Field Research”. Write your program name and program on the memo line.
- Credit Card Payment: The IFR accepts all major credit cards. A 2% Processing fee is automatically charged to all online transactions.
- Cash Payment: Student may pay by cash by personally coming to the IFR offices. Mailing of cash, even via secure couriers is strongly discourage. The IFR will not be responsible for any cash lost when send to our offices.
- Bank Transfers: At this time, the IFR is unable to accept bank transfers.
- Returned checks incur an automatic $29.00 Returned Check Fee
All other Nationalities: Please contact the IFR with questions about tax deduction possibilities in your home country.
Student Loans: One way to help fund the field school cost is through student loans. The best way to use this financial tool is to ask your home school to accept the loan on your behalf and forward funds to the IFR through a Consortium Agreement. Such loans can go towards your Financial Aid package and disperse to the IFR by the school in which you matriculate. Go to the IFR Financial Aid page to read more.
The IFR itself cannot accept direct payment of student loans as we are not a university. Our partner institution decline accepting student loans on our behalf as students do not matriculate there.
Personal Loans: Your field school is an academic class that awards you with credit units from our partner university. Many banks will allow personal loans at low interest rates to finance such academic activities. The IFR can accept direct payment from banks from such loans. Make sure any funds transfer from your bank includes your name and the field school you plan to attend. This will help ensure funds will be credited correctly in our system.